Verde Heritage By Glenda Farley, Cottonwood, AZ Local historian Glenda Farley guides us on a journey back in time to discover fascinating moments that make up our Verde heritage and history.
Tuesday, July 8, 2014
1916: Electricity Shocks 2 and Electrocutes 2, June 30.
"SURVEYOR'S TAPE IS CARRIER OF DEATH: Touches Transmission Line and Fred Lust is Electrocuted."
"One of the most peculiar accidents on record resultd in the death of Fred Lust, a local electrician, near the south end of the Green Monster property last Friday. Lust was killed by an electric shock transmitted through a steel tape that accidently came in contact with a transmission line."
"With Sam Fox and Engineer Clyde Hoyt, Lust was doing some surveying for the Green Monster company. All three were dragging the tape when a part of it fell over the edge of a gulch and touched the transmission wire below."
"Lust's death was instantaneous. He never knew what hit him and his body was horribly contorted when he was picked up."
"Fox was wearing cotton gloves and did not receive the full force of the current. Though he received a shock which was far from pleasant, he was not injured."
"For an instant Hoyt, who was on wet ground, suffered all the tortures of electrocution. He was thrown back several feet and says that he saw sparks flying from his eyelids. He was fully cognizant of what was going on and in a minute or two was able to walk to camp and report the death of Lust. After he had made his report he was overcome and the application of first aid measures became necessary."
"W. S. Humbert brought Lust's body to Jerome in his automobile. A coroner's jury brought in a verdict in accordance with the facts."
"Lust had lived in Jerome about a year. He was 28 years old."
(Jerome News: Friday, July 7, 1916; page 1, column 4.)
FRED R. LUST was born in Ohio. He was electrocuted on June 30, 1916. "The funeral of Fred Lust was held Wednesday afternoon under the auspices of the Moose." He was buried in the Jerome Cemetery. (Certificate of Death and Jerome News.)
"ELECTIC SHOCK ENDS LIFE OF GUS VOGE."
"As a result of an electric shock received Friday afternoon, Gus Voge, an employee at the local sub-station of the Arizona Power company, died Tuesday. The accident occurred when a telephone wire that Voge was adjusting came in contact with a transmission wire. For several days it was thought that he would recover, then his condition took a turn for the worse."
"Gus Vogue was nearly thirty years old and had spent practically all his life in Jerome. He is survived by a mother and widow. The remains were interred in Prescott."
(Jerome News; Friday, July 7, 1916; Page 1, column 1.)
GUSTAVE "Gus" VOGE was born in Sweden on November 3, 1886. He is the son of Anna (Persons) Voge (born in Sweden) whose husband, Herman Voge (born in Germany) had died in Miller Valley on December 1, 1914 (from self-inflicted cyanide and a pistol wound). Dr. A. C. Carlson attended the deceased from June 30 until July 4, 1916. Gustave Voge was buried in Mountain View Cemetery, plot N/5/I. (Sharlot Hall Museum Library and Archives.)